Thursday, November 6, 2008

My 2009 Rapids Wishlist, Part I

These are some of the players I would like to see the Rapids' Front Office go after if they can this offseason. This is assuming Pablo Mastroeni will be gone (I'll miss him, but it will give us some $$ to work with), and that there is a chance Christian Gomez will want to be traded (maybe a slight chance).

These are all current MLS players, and I haven't thought much about trades to go along with the acquisitions, but I think they are in the realm of possibility. I would love to see some foreign-based players come into the fold too.

Strikers
1. Chris Rolfe
I was thinking about this guy before he lit up NYRB for 3 goals in the first half a couple weeks ago. The Rapids need a more reliable strike partner with Conor Casey. They should be willing to part with Omar and/or Jacob Peterson to get a forward of this caliber. He'll probably cost $100k per season, and Chicago probably won't let him go, as it seems like he is peaking and may be a contender for a USMT residency. He has a classy touch and good soccer brain like Conor, and I think they'd work well together. Tom McManus would make a solid 3rd striker option.


2. Maykel Galindo
I think he was injured almost all season this year, so he only had one goal. In 2007, however, he was #5 in the league with 12 goals in 28 games. There is a rumor that he and Preki don't get along, so he might be leaving Chivas USA soon. The rumor also has him going to Seattle. He is also in the $90k-100k range. It would be risky to get him, but if healthy, the 27-year-old should be able to put a bunch of balls in the net.

3. Dominic Oduro
FC Dallas' 3rd striker/super-sub. I don't know much about him, but I know he's fast, tall, and can score clutch goals, (like he almost did vs. the Rapids July 19th; the late goal was offsides). He's more affordable, around $35k, and would make a perfect swap for Omar. He's still young, but I've been impressed when I've seen him play.


The bottom line is that our striker list is not deep, especially with Herculez now gone. We need more talent up front, and I won't be surprised if the FO finally shells out some big bucks for a more marquee striker. I also won't be surprised if they act like we have everything we need.

I'll continue with my desirable mids and maybe defenders next time.

No comments: