Thursday, November 13, 2008

Hola!

Ok, so it's already day 2 here in Buenos Aires. It was a super-long trip and jetlag wiped me out for day 1. But I'm coming around, and so far I really like it here.

Before the trip, I had high hopes of staying as vegan as possible. I knew it would be difficult, but I was encouraged by my ability to pull it off in Las Vegas the last few times I visited. If you've ever tried to be vegan in Vegas, you know how hard that is. Also, I picked up two books that I figured would reinforce my cruelty-free resolve: The Ominvore's Dilemma by Michael Pollan, and The Whale Warriors by Peter Heller. Unfortunately, I must report that I have made several transgressions in the name of hunger... and it started on the plane. What can you do when the airline's website doesn't let you order a vegetarian meal? To make things worse, I must confess that Minnie and I were so hungry after getting into the apartment that we ate the first thing we could find, which was basically grilled ham and cheese.

I admit these things because I do not want to claim to be vegan if I can't be honest. However, I am committed to veganism, and one of my goals for this trip is to compile some tips for staying vegan while travelling. Hopefully that way others can succeed where I have failed. More on those tips later...

To follow the exploits of Minnie and I in South America for the next 3 months, check out our travel blog at minmark-sa.blogspot.com. We'll be posting all our photos and stories there. Gracias!

No comments: