Sunday, November 16, 2008

Gibraltar

We finally found a decent vegan meal in Buenos Aires, and it just happened to be around the corner from our apartment. The San Telmo bar is called Gibraltar. We went there for drinks last night thanks to a recommendation from our Rough Guide, and we decided to check it out for lunch today. It is a British-pub style bar with an English menu, and at least some of the staff speaks English too. They have a couple of vegetarian options, which you have to specify to make sure you don't get pollo. Minnie got the Green Thai Curry, which is served with rice, and I ordered the Red Thai Curry, a noodle dish. The portions were huge, and in my opinion well worth the 20 pesos each. It was refreshing to find a Thai dish. Most of the restaurantes we have encountered seem to have the same dishes, so it was a huge relief to find something different. Both curries came with veggies like peppers, zucchini, and mushrooms. My red curry noodles had peanuts too. I won't say it was the best curry I've ever had, but it was the best meal I've had since getting to BA. Hot, hearty, spicy and delicious. Gibraltar is near the corner of Estados Unidos y Peru in San Telmo, and I recommend checking it out if you are in the neighborhood and want a good vegan meal. Click here for a map to Peru 895 and more info.

No comments: