Sunday, February 8, 2009

Read This: The Omnivore's Dilemma

I think everybody should read this. It was honestly one of the most interesting books I've ever read. Pollan breaks down how the food industry works in an honest and interesting way. It's not a vegtarian's manifesto or anything, but it certainly presents a case for eating very little meat, especially once you realize where it comes from. I'm not just talking about the nasty, animal cruelty stuff either. I'm talking about how the whole American food system works, and why it is broken. Pollan explains how most of the cheap easy foods we are used to come from two unlikely sources: corn and oil. I won't bore you with my rehashing of it, but it was eye-opening to find out why McDonald's is really so cheap, and why natural foods tend to cost more.

If you have any interest in food, health, and understanding where your dinner comes from, I strongly recommend The Omnivore's Dilemma.


Get it cheap here, or check out http://www.michaelpollan.com/

No comments: