Monday, February 9, 2009

CG Back to DC, Rapids get DP Back!

It looks like the rumors were true. Christian Gomez has been traded back to DC United, along with GK Mike Graczyk. In exchange, the Colorado Rapids picked up Ivan Guerrero and the Designated Player slot they originally traded away for Gomez last year. Considering the rumors of how Gary Smith wanted to get rid of CG for whatever reason, and Gomez's apparent unhappiness in Colorado, it seems like a great outcome to me. It's exciting to see we have a DP slot again, though it is hard to imagine the Rapids front office using it. It definitely opens up some more possibilities for that much-needed pedigreed 2nd striker. The optimistic dreamer in me can't wait to see what happens with the DP slot and added salary cap space. However, the realist in me cannot see the FO shelling out the big dough.

I was a big Christian Gomez fan while he was a Rapid. It was a shame to me that the whole thing didn't work out. Seeing Nick LaBrocca get the start over CG week after week just never made sense to me, but then I never knew what happened in training or the locker room. I did see some magic from Gomez. I could tell he had that vision to link up with savvy players like Conor Casey. But somehow he was not very impactful as a Rapid. I would have liked to see him roam around the field more to disrupt other teams' plans, like Blanco does for Chicago. Maybe it was his unwillingness to take that role that led to his being benched, and ultimately traded back to DC. Good luck Christian. It's time for Medhi Ballouchy to prove all the naysayers wrong this year, I hope. Go Medhi.

No comments: